Compress by zlib only selected Maildir folders

David Pottage david at chrestomanci.org
Tue May 12 14:31:28 EEST 2020

On 2020-05-12 10:35, filbar at centrum.cz wrote:
> Hello,
> is it possible to compress by zlib only selected folders? My e-mail
> accounts have archive folder and this folder contains old comunications
> with my customers and this I use very rare, so I want to compress them
> by zlib to save space. Is this possible?

Presumably you are the admin for the email server?

If so, you could move your mail store to a btrfs or zfs filesystem with
compression support. I am not sure about zfs, but I know that with btrfs
it is possible to set different default compression settings for
individual files & directories as well as the FS as a whole.

You should ask yourself if it is worth the trouble. Disk space is cheap,
and emails tend to be reasonably small, so it might be more prudent to
just buy some larger disks. Also if all the disk space is being used by
attachments, then you should check if they are compressible, as image
files or encrypted files are usually not.

I am running a personal mail server using dovecot with the email store
on a btrfs volume, but I have not enabled compression because I care
more about speed and reliability. An additional advantage of btrfs is
that you can use the snapshot feature to make backups more reliable.
--

David Pottage