Ms Exchange vs dovecot

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Tue May 12 20:45:41 EEST 2020

Rolling your own MTA/Dovecot and groupware isn't a trivial undertaking.

But I think one of the best examples of a really well done setup is mailcow.
I've recently been tinkering with it, and it does an exceptional job.

While it's not really an exchange replacement I'm quite impressed and feel it checks a lot of the boxes I have around calendaring/caldav (group and individual), contacts/carddav and synchronization {activesync equivalent).

(Exchange is kind of a weird product to start with and I'm not sure a goal of "replacing" it is a worthy one - at least for the needs I'm considering.)

And it uses Dovecot as part of the mix to get there. :)

One might consider it if you're looking to do some of the things that Exchange does.

-Greg