doveadm sync backup from old to new server

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Fri May 15 02:00:28 EEST 2020

So that was really helpful for me to understand that a lot more clearly.
Thanks! [Many, many thanks @Plutocrat!!]

But I'm still getting a similar failure.
Let me give the command I'm using.

doveadm backup -D -u user at abc.net \
ssh root at po.abc.net \
docker exec b3093cxxxxxx doveadm sync -D -u user at abc.net

The "local" server is where the data/mail currently is.
The remote or docker container/volume is where dovecot is installed. (The data is in a different docker container.)

So, I think I'm "backing up" the data from the local machine and pushing that "backed up" data via SSH to the dovecot install in docker and attempting to "sync" that data to the remote dovecot install.

However, I immediately get
"Error: read(remote) failed: EOF (version not received)"

The connection hangs. If I wait a while - perhaps 30-60s, it kills the SSH connection and aborts the process.

Is there a way I can test the remote end's ability to accept the data.
[i.e. Can I do something like
ssh root at po.abc.net \
docker exec b3093cxxxxxx doveadm sync -D -u user at abc.net

And see if it would accept the data. [In short, do I have a local end problem or a remote end problem - and being able to test both parts individually would probably help me figure out what's broken. That still won't fix it, but at least I'll know which end I need to concentrate on.]

I'd guess this will all seem pretty obvious in retrospect, but for the life of me, I'm completely lost and really don't have any idea where to start to break it down better so I can see how each piece is working or not.

TIA
-Greg

--
Gregory Sloop, Principal: Sloop Network & Computer Consulting
Voice: 503.251.0452 x121
EMail: gregs at sloop.net
http://www.sloop.net
---