doveadm backup, question

dovecot-user f7f4f5cb6e at tiny-vps.com
Tue May 19 16:07:28 EEST 2020

Hello everyone.
I am an inexperienced user of dovecot and I faced probably a simple
problem, but I still do not understand how to solve it.
The issue is related to using doveadm backup - I want to backup
mailboxes; make this copy on the same machine (hereinafter, files with
backup copies will be taken from this machine into the storage by a
separate mechanism, this is not related to the issue).
I am using dovecot 2.2.27 (c0f36b0) on Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch).
The options related to storing mail and attachments are as follows:
mail_location = mdbox:/var/mail/%d/%n
mail_attachment_dir = /var/mail/%d/%n/attach
Thus, the mail of user at domain.tld is stored in
/var/mail/domain.tld/user/, and mail attachments inside this directory,
for example: /var/mail/domain.tld/user/attach.
When I start copying (as root while in test mode):
#doveadm backup -u "user at domain.tld" sdbox:/backup/domain.tld/user,
copying passes, but, as I understand it, the attachments are not copied
(I am judging so far by the volume of the initial storage and the
received one, it should not differ VERY much, but it differs by 10
times, it seems that it’s just the total amount of attachments).
Tell me, plz, how to run doveadm backup correctly so that everything is
copied so that you can subsequently deploy it from the backup?
Thanks.