Convert standalone mbox to standalone Maildir with Dsync - hierarchy separator error

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Sat May 23 03:53:54 EEST 2020

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 04:16:26AM +0100, Sam Kuper wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 11:03:37AM +0300, Aki Tuomi wrote:
>> Edit your dovecot.conf and add
>>
>> namespace {
>>   inbox = yes
>>   # or use '.' here.
>>   separator = /
>> }
>
> Thanks for the suggestion!  I added those lines to the bottom of
> /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf .
>
> However, when I attempted the mbox to maildir conversion afterwards, I
> still received an error, albeit a different one:
>
>     $ dsync -Dv \
>     -o 'mail_location=maildir:/tmp/dsync_test/maildir' \
>     backup \
>     mbox:/tmp/dsync_test/mbox/:INBOX=/tmp/dsync_test/mbox/2002-September
>
>     [..]
>
>     doveadm(sampablokuper): Error: User initialization failed:
>     namespace configuration error: Duplicate namespace prefix: ""
>
>     doveadm(sampablokuper): Error: User init failed
>

> I was able to resolve this error by commenting out this line in my
> /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:
>
>     include conf.d/*.conf

I meant to add, for anyone else reading this who might be experiencing
the same error, that the following thread was quite helpful:

https://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?t=17154

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.