Simple backup of maildir folder

Admin Beckspaced admin at beckspaced.com
Sat May 30 08:49:00 EEST 2020

Am 29.05.2020 um 17:37 schrieb Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay:
> Hi,
>
> I want to do a simple backup of my maildir. I read here that
> maildirlock is not to count on in the future and the recommended
> option was to use doveadm backup. However, it seems that this requires
> to setup another dovecot server.
>
> My questions are:
>
> - How much to I need to configure this new server? Do I need to setup
> user by user, or even install postfix (that's where my users are
> configured) to get it all backed up? I tried to install dovecot and
> running doveadm backup, but it complains the users are not there.
> - What's the simplest way to configure dovecot without mirrowing my
> server so that this can work?
>
> Best,
>
> Francis
>
> ---
> Francis Augusto Medeiros-Logeay
> Oslo, Norway

Hello Francis,

I also have maildir as mailbox format and use the following script to do
daily backups

https://github.com/tachtler/dovecot-backup

There's also a more detailed how-to which explains how to do a restore.
But it's only in german language

https://www.dokuwiki.tachtler.net/doku.php?id=tachtler:dovecot_backup_-_skript

Google Translate is your friend ;)
perhaps this might help?