Current thinking on backups ?

Coy Hile coy.hile at coyhile.com
Sat May 30 17:21:30 EEST 2020

This all gives me an interesting idea. Currently, I only have one box running dovecot doing IMAP duties. For other systems where I want availability (specifically, postgres databases), I use manatee (https://github.com/joyent/manatee). I wonder if something similar would work to have dovecot instances bootstrap themselves:

- discover existing instances via whatever method.
- zfs send / zfs recv a snapshot from one of the existing primaries
- setup replication from one of the existing boxes.

It’s perhaps not quite as straightforward as a database that already has native definitions of “primary”, “synchronous peer”, and “asynchronous peer”

Is this something that people see as among the land of the possible or desired?

-c

--
Coy Hile
coy.hile at coyhile.com