v2.3.11.3 solr plugin search via MUA fails to match accented ascii characters; cmd line exec of `doveadm fts lookup` PANICs (assertion failed) [proposed patch]

John Fawcett john at voipsupport.it
Sun Nov 1 20:35:39 EET 2020

On 01/11/2020 15:20, PGNet Dev wrote:
> On 11/1/20 1:56 AM, John Fawcett wrote:
>> At the moment I don't see other corrections needed in dovecot apart from
>> command line doveadm fts which is not a show stopper. Via doveadm search
>> I confirm - on my simple config - that search for accented or non
>> accented characters works correctly as it does via imap connection.
>
> thx.  hopefully it'll get considered for a next release soon.
>
>> Only thing I cannot vouch for is bringing dovecot fts library and config
>> into the equation because my setup delegates almost everything to solr.
>
> do i understand correctly that you're solr-indexing your dovecot mail
> store withOUT using dovecot fts plugin, and that -- with your
> aforementioned patch -- doveadm successfully uses the resulting indexes?
>
> i hadn't yet seriously considered _circumventing_ fts plugin; if this^
> does get resolved soonish, then it's not a big deal.  if not, an
> fts-plugin-less setup would be interesting to know more abt!
>
>> Can you get evidence of things not working? For example tests run with
>> soft_commit configured - that's important since without it the updates
>> don't show up immediately in searches, that do show that the update is
>> happening in solr via solr log, but then search is not working on
>> accented characters, despite it working on other text in the same
>> message? The solr logs also show whether the text was found or not via
>> the "hits=" value in the logged searches, for example:
>>
>> 2020-11-01 08:32:42.231 INFO  (qtp24119573-21) [   x:dovecot]
>> o.a.s.c.S.Request [dovecot]  webapp=/solr path=/select
>> params={q={!lucene+q.op%3DAND}body:también&fl=uid,score&sort=uid+asc&fq=%2Bbox:b1626f0fe8d9145e54100000c54a863a+%2Buser:john at voipsupport.it&rows=3202&wt=xml}
>>
>> hits=3 status=0 QTime=3
>>
>> But if no hits are found, then dovecot cannot be expected to display
>> results. It still may be an indexing problem though.
>
> my current config has soft_commit enabled,
>
>   fts_solr = url=https://solr.example.com:8984/solr/dovecot/
> use_libfts soft_commit=yes batch_size=250
>
> i'll see abt getting some clearer test results ...

Yes, getting more data about any potential problem would be useful.

Just to clarify: I have a fully working search setup for some time now
over various dovecot releases, so no patches needed to get it working.

My setup does use fts plugin and fts-solr plugin, but it does not use
lib-fts functionality (that has many features for example it was
stopping you indexing excluded words like tambien). On my setup without
lib-fts everything goes to solr which does the work of indexing without
all the features of lib-fts.

My setup is like this not because of issues in lib-fts, but because I
never had the need for it. There is no evidence at the moment however
that even with lib-fts enabled there are issues with dovecot indexing or
searching.

What is currently nor working is "doveadm fts" command line utility. But
this is mitigated by being able to use a similar command line utility
"doveadm search". The issue on "dovecot fts" command line utility has
(so far as the available evidence suggests) no effect on indexing or
imap searches.

fyi my working configuration includes fts and fts_solr plugins

mail_plugins =  quota notify replication fts fts_solr

(and those are also recalled in the various specific plugin settings for
imap, lmtp ecc), The specific config I am using for fts and fts_solr is:

  fts = solr
  fts_enforced = yes
  fts_solr = url=https://user@server.example.com:443/solr/dovecot/
batch_size=500 soft_commit=no

BTW I use soft_commit=no because I have periodic soft commits setup on
solr and I accept that newly indexed text won't become searchable for up
to that interval, but for your testing purposes much more useful as you
have it.

John