Delivering locally through the Submission Server

R. Diez rdiezmail-2006 at yahoo.de
Tue Nov 3 14:49:56 EET 2020

 > And probably would never do. It isn't its job description.
 > [...]
 > The idea is to have one software package that does one defined set of
 > functions really well, as not to complicate things by lumping everything
 > together. Delivering mail is a generally complex process that needs
 > a separate expertise than storing/indexing/accessing email messages.
 > [...]
 > I didn't know about BURL, thanks. Looks interesting. I am sometimes
 > really annoyed by double upload when sending big files. I wonder if my
 > mail clients support this... need to check. Maybe then I'll configure
 > dovecot sumbission just for BURL sake.

You have realised just now how the Unix philosophy can easily break down. The BURL case makes it clear that strict separation does not fit
the bill in this case. Separating mail storage from sieve/filtering from sending (MTA) etc. creates integration costs and data duplication.

Sometimes I wonder whether it would not be better to have an integrated mail server that knows how to send, receive, filter and store
e-mail. Like a database server, that not only knows how to store, index, query and replicate data, but can also run stored procedures that
have access to all features (over an internal API) and can run anything at all, including running external tools. Or even like Microsoft
Access, where you can do all that plus even code a GUI. The Emacs of Mail. 8-)

Regards,
   rdiez