Dovecot alternatives with good i18n support?

PGNet Dev pgnet.dev at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 17:51:19 EET 2020

On 11/22/20 6:59 AM, David Bürgin wrote:

> Hello!

> I’m interested in exploring alternative IMAP servers that have good

> support for internationalised email, such as support for SMTPUTF8, IDN

> mail domains, Unicode local-part, etc. etc.

> If you used to use Dovecot, and found an alternative that does such

> things well, I would very much like to hear it.

"good support" is a rather fuzzy qualifier.  in general, it's sketchy.  here's a comparison list / sort on "IDN/UTF8",

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_mail_servers

Many of those^ are 'integrated mail servers' -- whether their IMAP backends can be split off and do/don't support I18N, dunno.

What dovecot does/doesn't have planned, I dunno either; no bug tracker to peruse, and digging through this list is not really helpful.
   I've not yet seen a stmt of support for https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc6855.txt

mail I18N's not a frequent need in my world (OTOH, for content search, it is); where I _do_ have the stringent requirement, for just a couple of very large installs, CommunigatePro runs.
Runs well, but comes with significant costs.

You might also take a look at Jakarta Mail (formerly JavaMail)

Its IMAP

   https://eclipse-ee4j.github.io/mail/docs/api/com/sun/mail/imap/package-summary.html

claims support for rfc6855.