Dovecot Proxy

Thoralf Rickert-Wendt trw at acoby.de
Tue Sep 1 14:59:22 EEST 2020

Hi Philon,

now, it's time for "Mahlzeit" ;-)

Sorry, that I read the wiki1 instead of wiki2. I thought the 1 means
that it is server one of ... my fault. Also not reading the first line
above the menu. My focus was really on the content. ;-)

Also my problem with the doc of Dovecot2 proxy is, that the document
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/authentication/proxies/ has
less details for a domain only example. That works as in the Dovecot1
doc, but it isn't documented anymore. Also the location under
"authentication" chapter in the Wiki didn't tell me, that this is the
"new Dovecot proxy documentation". I thought, this was only related to
authentication issues. I would recommend to either restructure the
wiki2, that it makes it more clear to the user or make some notes on
https://doc.dovecot.org/admin_manual/dovecot_proxy/ and link to the
passdb setting on
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/forwarding_parameters/ and
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/authentication/proxies/.
Maybe there are other documents related to Proxy too, like the SNI
settings etc. But maybe I'm the only one on the planet, that tries to
use that. It feels a little bit like that.

The Director would be interesting, if all the mailservers in the backend
would know each other. But thats not the case. Mailserver A and
Mailserver B are hosting complete different domains with a complete
different user list and complete different user admins, etc. Also
mailcow doesnt enabled the director. So it will not help much. But it
could be interesting, if I have multiple proxies.

Yes, the submission service inside Dovecot is there. And I tried to
avoid to install multiple "programs" and if there is one "program" that
handles it all, why don't use it. And I'd like to quote the first line
of the Dovecot proxy doc: "Dovecot supports proxying IMAP, POP3,
Submission Server
<https://doc.dovecot.org/admin_manual/submission_server/#submission-server>,
LMTP Server
<https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/protocols/lmtp_server/#lmtp-server>,
and Pigeonhole ManageSieve Server
<https://doc.dovecot.org/admin_manual/pigeonhole_managesieve_server/#pigeonhole-managesieve-server>
connections to other hosts.".

Also I tried to open the Dovecot authentication mechanism for postfix
(for submission) with

service auth {
   user = root
     group = postfix
     mode = 0660
     user = postfix
   }
}

And on Postfix part with

smtpd_sasl_auth_enabled = yes
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

But the postfix login is always accepted (even with wrong passwords) and
after I start to write a Mail the connection get lost after RCPT
command. There is another problem. Before I infestigate it, I would try
my luck with Dovecot. It is already asking the correct backend
submission server but with SSL on a non-SSL port.

So - someone included the Submission protocol in Dovecot and someone
wrote, that the submission could be proxied - but - its not completly
documented or "it doesn't work" within a SSL environment. I searched for
a simple example, where IMAP and POP3 are proxied via SSL and Submission
too (which would mean, that Dovecot submission listens on 465) or via
STARTTLS on 587 and redirecting it also to STARTTLS/587. But I didn't
find anything. Also the submission documentation doesnt help, because I
cant see any line of configuration file in it.

Ok, but first - lunchtime.

bye
Thoralf