At a loss with antispan and imap_sieve

Ferenc dovecot at bezemkast.nl
Mon Sep 21 00:37:26 EEST 2020

Hi,

It seems I can’t google my way out of this one. I’m trying to set up spam/ham learning but getting
nowhere.

I tried Johannes Berg Antispam plugin, and syslog shows:

Sep 20 22:22:06 proefmail imap: antispam: running mailtrain backend program
/usr/lib/dovecot/retrain.sh
Sep 20 22:22:06 proefmail imap: antispam: running mailtrain backend program
/usr/lib/dovecot/retrain.sh
Sep 20 22:22:06 proefmail imap: antispam: running mailtrain backend program parameter 1 /mail/klaas
Sep 20 22:22:06 proefmail imap: antispam: running mailtrain backend program parameter 2 ham

The file retrain.sh is simply:

#!/bin/sh
echo hi >> debug.log

...with debug.log being an empty world-writeable file in /usr/lib/dovecot.

Absolutely nothing happens. The file debug.log is not even touched. But when I remove retrain.sh there’s an error logged so up
until then, *something* happens.

After this I tried imap_sieve, following the wiki on dovecot.org, but again nothing happens. My imap.log says:
Info: sieve: pipe action: piped message to program `retrain.sh’

But again debug.log is untouched.

I’m fresh out of ideas here. Any help would be most welcome.

I’m on Debian in virtual machine, Postfix delivering mail to Dovecot LMTP delivering to virtual
maildirs, bogofilter for scanning incoming mail. Sieve does work for moving incoming spam to the
spam mailbox.

Cheers and thanks,

Ferenc