BUG: _presence_ of valid openssl.cnf Option = 'ServerPreference' causes Dovecot submission relay FAIL: "failed: Failed to initialize SSL: ..."

PGNet Dev pgnet.dev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 21:00:36 EEST 2020

On 9/22/20 10:51 AM, Aki Tuomi wrote:

> Well, dovecot does not actually do any parsing for system-wide openssl.cnf. This sounds more like OpenSSL issue than dovecot issue.

I've NO issue with that config/setting with any _other_ app -- whether in general openssl-lib-linked usage, or specifically for a mail submitter (e.g., postfix).  The ServerPreference setting is seen/respected/utilized as intended.

It's ONLY Dovecot that's reproducibly firing the error, as reported above.

It's also NOT a generalized openssl problem "with" Dovecot -- all (well, so far ...) _other_ crypto-/openssl-related capabilities in Dovecot are behaving normally.