implementing folder hashing

Manuel Delgado manuel.delgado at ucr.ac.cr
Wed Sep 23 19:35:45 EEST 2020

Hi Adrian,

It depends much on your site configuration.

In our case, we have several mount points and we distribute our user
mailboxes using username hash (%N)[1] and limit this hash to the number of
mount points. We preferred %N over %H because the distribution of users was
much better.

Ex. xstore%2.3Nn turns to xstore00, xstore01 and xstore03.

Regards
Manuel Delgado

[1]
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/config_file/config_variables/#modifiers