How to prevent, or change priority, of dovecot's FAILed relay-submission to relay's IPv6 address, and submit ONLY/first to IPv4?

Arjen de Korte build+dovecot at de-korte.org
Fri Apr 9 16:57:58 EEST 2021

Citeren PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev at gmail.com>:

> On 4/9/21 8:08 AM, @lbutlr wrote:
>> On 08 Apr 2021, at 06:08, PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> whereas other services listen at both IPv4 & IPv6 addresses, with
>>> IPv6 preferred over IPv4, postfix listens ONLY on IPv4,
>>
>> Do you mean that YOUR postfix only listens to ipv4?
>
> Yep.
>
>> If so, wouldn't the solution be to setup postfix to listen to ipv6?
>
> That would work, of course, but that's not the point.  I'm not
> planning to open postfix listener on the public IPv6 in order to
> accommodate one service connection (Dovecot's relay submit), only to
> have to add add'l knobs to lock down access.

There is no need to use a global address, assuming the systems Postfix
and Dovecot are on the same LAN, a link-local IPv6 address would be
just fine. This is no less insecure than a RFC1918 IPv4 address.

> And it's a bad assumption that since the host is dual-stack that all
> services on it will be.

I fail to see why. If a hostname resolves to both an A and AAAA
record, it should provides services on both.

> The 'solution' is to have Dovecot relay submit connect where & how
> you TELL it to connect, NOT where it assumes it's OK to connect.

You've already told it where to connect: internal.mx.example.com.
Since that host has both an A and AAAA record, you're telling it both
are equally fine. If that's not what you want, either hardcode the
IPv4 address in the submission_relay_host or create an
internal-ipv4.mx.example.com A record.

> It's already possible to set
>
>  submission_relay_host       =
>  submission_relay_port       =
>  submission_relay_ssl        =
>  submission_relay_ssl_verify =
>  submission_relay_trusted    =
>
> in order to specify exactly how/where to securely connect for relay.
>
> It's a head scratcher what the philosophical reticence is for
> completing the picture with a
>
>  submission_relay_inet_protocols
>
> or somesuch.

It's a head scratcher why people still insist on running services on
legacy IPv4 only.