error 42 ssl certificate expired

Christopher Wensink cwensink at five-star-plastics.com
Mon Apr 12 17:13:54 EEST 2021

Dovecot Team,

I need a little help.  I came in this morning and it seems like the SSL
Certificates expired for dovecot (on an internal mail server) and nobody
can move email into  their folders on this server.  In Thunderbird they
just see in the status bar:  HISTORY: checking mail server capabilities...

In /var/log/maillog:
--------
Apr 12 09:02:26 mario2 dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth
attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=10.5.1.85, lip=10.5.1.17, TLS:
SSL_read() failed: error:14094412:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3
alert bad certificate: SSL alert number 42, session=<H5iu9sa/Me0KBQFV>

I have tried:

-Restarting Dovecot
-Restarting the whole mail server
-Re-creating the .pem files, first moving the old files in
/etc/pki/dovecot/certs and /etc/pki/dovecot/private from dovecot.pem to
dovecot-old.pem,
   - Re-creating a new dovecot.pem using the mkcert.sh script in the doc
folder in /usr/share/doc/dovecot-2.2.36/,
   - restarting dovecot
   - changing the cert values in dovecot-openssl.cnf

I also tried creating new .crt and key files using this tutorial:
https://msol.io/blog/tech/create-a-self-signed-ssl-certificate-with-openssl/

I need some assistance, thank you for your help.

Chris

--
Christopher Wensink
IS Administrator