error 42 ssl certificate expired

Christopher Wensink cwensink at five-star-plastics.com
Mon Apr 12 22:28:32 EEST 2021

I confirm that the solution in Thunderbird, was they had to click on the
account's inbox, then click get messages, then click the confirm
security exception button on the server identity pop-up, and that fixes
the issue.  I could see that under Tools > Options > Certificates for
the server section had a self-signed certificate which is active for 1
year, so once the new cert is generated then everyone has to just
confirm the exception of the new self-signed certificate.  It's an easy
fix once you know the solution.

Thanks for your help Aki.

In our case this is an internally used Dovecot Mail server that's used
for mail storage only, not for sending out new email and it's not the
default email account to receive new messages.  The server never touches
the public internet, only inside the LAN traffic.  In this situation are
CA authority certificates worth the expense? Just curious on what
everyone's opinion is of Digital Certs signed by certificate authorities
that are only used inside the LAN. Thoughts?

--
Christopher Wensink
IS Administrator
cwensink at five-star-plastics.com