Installation Question: Is a web server required ?

justina colmena ~biz justina at colmena.biz
Thu Apr 29 10:23:44 EEST 2021

<daniel.e.white at nasa.gov> wrote:
> > only be accessed by POP3(s)/IMAP(s
>
> There is no reason to support POP3 on a new mail service. IMAP is suppserior
> in every way, both for the user and for the server.
>
> (There is nothing that POP3 can do that IMAP cannot duplicate, and many many
> MANY things that IMAPO can do that POP3 cannot).

The astronaut guy says the POP3/IMAP setup should "just work," and as pissed
off as I am at U.S. government bureaucracy and maybe I confuse NASA with
another government agency NSA and government spooks demanding back door access
to read my email over my shoulder, I happen to agree with the general
sentiment.

POP3 is the better and more efficient protocol for clients who simply want to
download email messages to their desktop once and for all so they don't need
to keep accessing the server over and over again to read the same old
messages.

IMAP is better for clients with multiple devices etc.

Professionals of any line of work who use email at work on the job and
especially people on this list know that already.