What imap ssl/auth settings work best with MS Outlook?

Arjen de Korte build+dovecot at de-korte.org
Fri Apr 30 10:40:20 EEST 2021

Citeren "@lbutlr" <kremels at kreme.com>:

> On 30 Apr 2021, at 01:20, Arjen de Korte <build+dovecot at de-korte.org> wrote:
>> Citeren "@lbutlr" <kremels at kreme.com>:
>>
>>> When you enter your email address, it would be TRIVIAL to check
>>> the MX records for the domain and fill those in for the SMTP and
>>> IMAP servers, allowing users to more easily add (if needed) the
>>> domain prefix.
>>>
>>> No one does this.
>>
>> Rightfully so. There is absolutely no guarantee that the server on
>> the inbound (MX) record also handles outbound and/or IMAP. In many
>> cases, these will be different systems.
>
> It is very very common. It's been at least a decade since I saw a
> configuration in which the SMTP/IMAP servers were on a different
> domain than the MX domain.

It´s getting less and less common. I see plenty domains where e-mail
spam/virus protection is outsourced and where there is absolutely no
hope of guessing the correct hostnames for outbound or IMAP servers
based on the domain of the MX record. Configuring Autodiscover records
may help somewhat, but even then YMMV.