Custom quota exeed message

rudolf at padaru.de rudolf at padaru.de
Tue Feb 2 11:29:17 EET 2021

Hey there,

i need some help with custom quota messages with dovecot and postfix.

The quota setup is clear and easy, now i want to manipulate the exceed
message, which is generated, if the mailbox is full.

Now i got something like that

Your message to <user at my.server.com> was automatically discarded:

Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is full)

The first line – so i think – is generated from postfix and cant be edit or?
The second line is generatet from dovecot and i can manipulate there with
the „quota_exceeded_message“ variable.

My problem is, that the sender cant see the mail-adress where he originally
send the mail. Because the ‚user‘ is an local user on my server. I need
somethin like that:

Your message to <peter.schmidt at schmidt.com> was automatically discarded:

Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is full)

Is there an way to manipulate the first line of answer?

Ori s there an way, that i can run a custom script in the
„quota_exceeded_message“ var? With the latter variant i would be able to
create something like:

Your message to <user at my.server.com> was automatically discarded:

Quota exceeded (mailbox for user <peter.schmidt at schmidt.com> is full)

But configurations like „quota_exceeded_message = script /my/script.sh“ wont
execute the script.

Does anybody have an idea?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Yours sincerely