Mail.app namespaces

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Sun Feb 14 02:59:44 EET 2021

All,

Dovecot 2.3.13 under Freebsd 11.3, installed via pkg.

I had a question related to dovecot and OSX mail.app.

My primary mailer is "alpine".  Sometimes I need to see a message in a
graphical app so I occasionally turn to mail.app.

I keep a lot of old mail.  Mail.app on recent macos versions insist on
downloading *everything* for easier searching and indexing.  Most of which
I don't need.  (20G of mail over the last 20+ years, plus a bunch of
mailing lists I keep archived, but only read when I need to search them).

ios mail doesn't do this.  Subscriptions don't work (in mail.app,
subscriptions are only for public/shared folders).

Ergo, is there a server-side way to make just one client not able to
see/list/download ALL folders?  Perhaps by presenting them as subscription
folders, or perhaps by hiding them in the namespace.

I'm not unwilling to configure an alternate namespace for myself.  (It's
helps that I'm the sysadmin here).

Ideally, this would be a thing I could only set for my account -- match on
a user-agent/username string of some sort?

(My other option has been "create a different username and forward to
myself there", but this feels like it should be solvable).

-Dan

My doveconf follows:

# 2.3.13 (89f716dc2): /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: FreeBSD 11.4-RELEASE-p3 amd64
# Hostname: prime.gushi.org
disable_plaintext_auth = no
mail_full_filesystem_access = yes
mail_location = mbox:%h/mail:INBOX=%h/.mail:INDEX=/var/db/indexes/%u
namespace {
   alias_for =
   hidden = yes
   list = no
   location =
   prefix = mail/
   separator = /
}
namespace {
   alias_for =
   hidden = no
   list = yes
   location =
   prefix = ~/mail/
   separator = /
   subscriptions = yes
}
namespace {
   alias_for =
   hidden = yes
   list = no
   location =
   prefix = ~%u/mail/
   separator = /
}
namespace {
   hidden = no
   list = yes
   location = mbox:~%u/.incoming/
   prefix = Inbounds/
   separator = /
}
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   prefix =
   separator = /
}
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
plugin {
   mail_log_events = delete undelete expunge copy mailbox_delete mailbox_rename
   mail_log_fields = uid box msgid size
}
service imap-login {
   inet_listener imap {
     port = 143
   }
   inet_listener imap_other {
     port = 1143
   }
   inet_listener imaps {
     port = 993
     ssl = yes
   }
   inet_listener imaps_other {
     port = 1993
     ssl = yes
   }
}
service pop3-login {
   inet_listener pop3 {
     port = 110
   }
   inet_listener pop3_other {
     port = 1110
   }
   inet_listener pop3s {
     port = 995
     ssl = yes
   }
   inet_listener pop3s_other {
     port = 1995
     ssl = yes
   }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/mail/certs/prime.gushi.org.certkey
ssl_dh = # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_key = # hidden, use -P to show it
userdb {
   driver = passwd