Mail.app namespaces

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Sun Feb 14 12:21:01 EET 2021

On 14 Feb 2021, at 01:21, Dan Mahoney (Gushi) <danm at prime.gushi.org> wrote:
> To answer my own question here, I added the following namespace:
>
> namespace {
>  separator = /
>  prefix = partial/
>  location = mbox:~%u/.partial-mail/
>  list = yes
>  hidden = no
> }
>
> And then, in my home directory, created a ~/.partial-mail folder, that I could add symlinks to for mailboxes I actually care about (really, just inbox, but I like having options).

Interesting solution, but I have concerns and I wonder how this will actually work for you, long term.

> Despite the fact that I have hidden set to "no", any user who doesn't have this magic folder will simply not see it.  (That said, I'll try setting it to "yes" to see if it behaves.)

I don't think that is what hidden means in the config. The path would not be visible in the client because it doesn't fit the maildir pattern of having a leading / for the name.

> Now let's just hope icloud keychain doesn't helpfully set this same variable on other systems, like my ios devices.

And that is my main concern. I think you will find that iCloud sync WILL, in fact, synchronize those settings across devices. If I were you I would set this up as a different account on your Mac (in Internet accounts), disable that account use on your iOS device and only have it enabled on your Mac and then it should not matter.

> I should *probably* for the sake of completeness, symlink in the "Special" folders.  (Drafts, etc)

That should work, I would think, as long as everything in the chain is OK with symlinks (which is my other main concern with this).

I might set up my iOS clients with something like this that shows all the mail folders EXCEPT Archives on those devices.

--
LOOSE TEETH DON'T NEED MY HELP Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF16