Possible minor issue with ~ vs %h

Marc Delling delling at silpion.de
Sun Feb 21 23:45:02 EET 2021

Hi there!

The documentation states one should prefer "~" over "%h" as placeholder for mail_home, nevertheless, in an official example for mail_attribute_dict "%h" was used like this:

  mail_home = /var/vmail/mailboxes/%d/%n
  mail_location = maildir:~/mail:LAYOUT=fs # this works
  mail_attribute_dict = file:%h/mail/dovecot-attributes # this works

I thought I would be clever and replace "%h" with "~" but if I do this, it does not behave as expected. Instead it creates a new directory named "~" inside mail_home.

  mail_home = /var/vmail/mailboxes/%d/%n
  mail_location = maildir:~/mail:LAYOUT=fs # this still works
  mail_attribute_dict = file:~/mail/dovecot-attributes # this does not work

I just wanted to bring it up, maybe I misinterpreted the documentation. I abolished the tilde for now, even if it is the preferred way.

All the best
Marc