Can Dovecot honor Outlook's "leave mail on server for X days" setting?

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 09:19:59 EET 2021

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021, Steve Dondley wrote:

> I've got a linux box running dovecot/postfix using maildir format. I
> was surprised to learn that a client that had many GBs of email was
> running POP3, not IMAP. It turns out they had a setting to delete POP3
> mail after X days turned on but it just went ignored.
>
> I know this is not how POP3 is supposed to work, but is there a way to
> get dovecot to honor the user's settings in Outlook? Or should I just
> tell the client to turn this off and use a proper IMAP account?

It's not dovecot (or any POP3) server's job to implement this setting, it's
the client's.  Typically, the mail reader downloads a list of messages,
then issues "DELE" commands to remove messages based on whatever criteria
the user had set.  Dovecot has no idea what the user's setting is.

Other people seem to have the same problem:

 	https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29988
 	https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_other-mso_2010/outlook-2010-not-removing-email-from-pop3-server/f952f469-a95b-4a5a-a805-a304354c2c1a
 	https://portal.smartertools.com/community/a90038/outlook-pop-leave-mail-on-server-for-days-not-deleting-mail.aspx

You may have to create a POP3 session log to diagnose what POP3 commands
you're client is issuing.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>