Why Last-login?

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Wed Mar 3 21:21:20 EET 2021

On 03 Mar 2021, at 05:38, Aki Tuomi <aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com> wrote:
> These days you can also replace last-login with mail-lua script, which can do lot more than just try to set a dict. But last-login rather useful information when you are debugging, or removing dormant accounts. And other customer support incidents.

Sure, being able to check a last login, approximately, is obviously useful. Bu clogging it for every login seems… well, it seems to be something people have been trouble getting to work properly and the information is right there without having to do anything.

Well, expect not use mbox. <shudder>

Seems that are simpler and less impactful and less troublesome ways to do this.

Anyway, it seems I am not missing anything, so I'll continue on with ls -lsdtr /path/to/user/maildir/{new,.**/new} if I need to look for defunct accounts.

--
I got fired from the zoo for braiding the snakes.