[ext] Re: What is the state of SMTPUTF8 support?

Sylvhem sylvhem at lepubdelobservateur.fr
Mon Mar 15 15:17:41 EET 2021

Le dimanche 14 mars 2021 à 21:13 +0100, Benny Pedersen a écrit :

> > > http://www.postfix.org/SMTPUTF8_README.html
> >
> > Sorry, I was on the wrong list.
>
> is there hope to see dns server support rfc 6531 ?
>
> how should dovecot and postfix handle both idn and eai maps, postfix
> is
> not ready yet there, its does not matter aslong dns have yet to
> support
> eai aswell

I’m sorry, but I’m a bit puzzled by your answer.
What is the relation between RFC 6531 and the DNS? I’m clearly no
expert, but I thought that RFC only specified an SMTP extension. How
are DNS servers concerned by that?
Anyway, Postfix already implemented SMTPUTF8. Having Dovecot do as well
would allow for mail-stack that rely on both Postfix and Dovecot to
send e-mail using addresses containing non-ASCII characters. That would
be a big progress for people who wish to use internationalized e-mail
addresses.
And the last time I asked questions about it here, people said to me it
was being worked on. Hence my question.

--
Sylvhem