dovecot director and keepalived

Paterakis E. Ioannis jpat at uoc.gr
Mon Mar 15 20:54:37 EET 2021

On 15/3/2021 6:09 μ.μ., Steven Varco wrote:
> Hi John
>
> Thanks for you input.
>
> So you basically state that („physically“) separating the director servers from keepalive/haproxy servers is the only option?
> I would like to avoid setting up two additional machines for that whenever possible, as any node more in the chain potentially is another point of failure… ;)

Nope, it's not the only option. You can always have all three daemons
(keepalived/haproxy/director) on each machine. Keepalived will handle
the floating ip job, haproxies will have no problems with the floating
ip, the directors will always be binded to the static ips of the
machines and have their setup in the haproxies. That's all.

But, if you plan to make a Highly available environment, u have to
consider splitting your services to different VMs, and them to different
hypervisors in order to be as Highly available as you can....

John