How to dimension hardware when using replication?

Michael Westerburg michael.westerburg at rz.uni-augsburg.de
Thu Mar 25 17:34:59 EET 2021

Hello Postmaster,

for a decade we have been using Dovecot successfully as IMAP server at
Augsburg University.

Now we face the decision to switch from separated SAN storage to
mirrored SAN storage by means of the usual combination of dovecot
director and dovecot replicator (CentOS 7, Dovecot 2.2.36).

Dovecot director runs on four virtual machines (4 cores, 4 GB memory).
The replicated storage is handled by two HP servers with 2 Xeon(R) CPU
E5-2620 (6 cores) and 32 GM memory. The network relies on 2 x 1 GBit
Ethernet bond and two redundant 4 GBit SAN-fabrics.

Our concerns, (1) is this equipment suitable? We are talking here about
25.000 mail accounts (LDAP) with 7 TB mail storage (mdbox) and in peak
periods 10.000 parallel Dovecot processes and (2) what are adequate
settings for director_user_expire, replication_max_conns and
replication_full_sync_interval?

Loosing mails is unacceptable as well as users stumbling upon mails with
the recent flag set which were read and deleted yesterday.

Who is using dovecot director and replicator and is willing to share
settings and operational experience?

Thanks in advance

++ Michael Westerburg

--