Ability to reject invalid client certificate at TLS handshake time

Gert van Dijk gertvdijk+dovecot at gmail.com
Sun May 2 00:22:54 EEST 2021

Hi Tom,

I agree that hiding a banner is obscurity rather than security (I
haven't claimed otherwise) and I share your views on where the focus
should be. However, my point reaches a bit further than those. I
believe it's of general good practice to deny access as soon as
possible in the chain of events in authentication. I believe I have
described my reasoning in my initial post for why I think these are
actual security benefits.

The link you provided (Comodo) explains exactly what I propose; the
requirement of the client certificate in the *handshake*, so it's not
supporting your view at all, but mine, really. And besides, it does
not explain why IMAPS/SMTPS should behave differently.

By the way, I believe your statement "Client certificate
authentication simply replaces username/password authentication within
the IMAP protocol" is not really true; it depends on the
configuration. In this example I have chosen to have passwordless
authentication and 'borrow' the authentication provided by the TLS
layer, but I could have left in a regular userdb configuration (or
configured by upstream proxy to require LOGIN). The security benefits
for evaluation at TLS handshake time can be beneficial for any
configuration having the requirement for presenting a valid client
certificate.

Kind regards,

Gert