Recovering deleted messages?

Shaun Johnson shaun at linuxmagic.com
Thu Nov 4 23:21:55 UTC 2021

On Thu, 4 Nov 2021 19:01:03 -0400
"Sean McBride" <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've run postfix and dovecot for years, but they have been so
> trouble-free that I've never really learned in-depth how they work. :)
>
> But now I have a user who accidentally used a POP client, and it
> deleted all his email.  He told me this only days later, and it's now
> been days later still, and so of course he has sent and received
> email since.  I have backups of course, but it is a feasible thing to
> 'merge' the deleted emails from the backup into his current mailboxes?
>
> I couldn't find any FAQ for such a scenario, so thought I'd ask
> here...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean

If the user who did this accidentally still has the POP client
installed, and said mail client supports multiple accounts - including
IMAP accounts, the simplest way IMO would be to have him set up a second
account as an IMAP account, turn off 'sync' for the POP3 account, then
just drag the messages from the POP3 account inbox over to the IMAP
account INBOX (then delete the POP3 account).

 - Shaun

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."
www.linuxmagic.com

This email and any electronic data contained are confidential
to which they are addressed. Please note that any views or
opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author
and are not intended to  represent those of the company.