ZFS storage and backup

infoomatic infoomatic at gmx.at
Mon Nov 15 16:18:07 UTC 2021

On 15.11.21 11:04, James wrote:

> I will use native ZFS encryption soon.  I see no performance issues in
> test.
>
> Don't get hung up on ZFS tuning, mostly ZFS just works.

yes I know, I love working with it, I have used it for > 10 years now,
but it happened that none of my mailserver projects used ZFS. Regarding
storage I tend to use sdbox, from what I have read it seems to be the
better option when using a COW filesystem compared to mdbox. One more
question is: compression at file system level or in dovecot storage?

The reason I am not sure to switch to ssds is that most servers are for
non-profit organisations, sports clubs etc. - they also need some
storage for pictures, their budget is quite low (so performance testing
would only be done out of my interest), and if spinning rust with
optimized settings suffices why not.

Thanks for your input so far, hope more will come ;-)