Subfolder in sieve not working as expected

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 20:42:59 UTC 2021

On 15-11-2021 23:04, dovecot at ptld.com wrote:
>> On 11-15-2021 3:46 pm, Kees van Vloten wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to move incoming mails into subfolders with this sieve script:
>>
>> require ["fileinto", "variables", "mailbox"];
>> if header :matches "Delivered-To" "*@*"
>> {
>>      fileinto :create "INBOX/${2}";
>> }
>
> I am not using variables and my folders are pre-created. But just to give you a starting point, this is what works using maildir++ format with default directory layout.
> https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/mail_location/Maildir/
>
>     require ["fileinto"];
>     # rule:[Dovecot]
>     if header :contains "sender" "@dovecot.org"
>     {
>        fileinto "INBOX.Dovecot";
>     }

ok, I am trying to start simple:

- removed the mail_plugin "listescape"

- set mail_location = maildir:%h/%d/%n/Maildir

- and changed the sieve script into:

require ["fileinto", "variables", "mailbox"];

if header :contains "Delivered-To" "@example.com"
{
     fileinto :create "INBOX.example";
}

Running sieve from the cmdline returns:

error: msgid=<76c62f93-527a-d8d9-f787-65926d9c3e25 at domain.com>: fileinto
action: failed to store into mailbox 'INBOX.example': Character not
allowed in mailbox name: '.'.
sieve-filter(vmail): Info: sieve:
msgid=<76c62f93-527a-d8d9-f787-65926d9c3e25 at domain.com>: left message in
mailbox 'INBOX'

For some reason the :create seems to have a problem with the folder
separator '.'

Any clue how to get '.example' recognized as a subfolder?

- Kees