special-use missing in 2.3 imap connection

Michael Slusarz michael.slusarz at open-xchange.com
Mon Nov 22 22:18:27 UTC 2021

> On 11/22/2021 1:10 PM Marc <marc at f1-outsourcing.eu> wrote:
>
> Should I specify special_use any where, it is missing from my telnet imap.local 143
>
> 2.2: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SPECIAL-USE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
>
> 2.3: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE             STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

This is pre-auth output correct?  SPECIAL-USE is only valid in authenticated/selected state, so there's no reason to list before that.

Looking at the code though, I don't see that this was ever output by Dovecot in the capability banner, even in 2.2.  Do you have 'imap_capability = +SPECIAL-USE' as a setting?

FYI: ENABLE and IDLE are only valid in authenticated/selected state, so you may ask why they are listed as well (at least I did).

IDLE is listed due to client issue.  From configure.ac:

dnl IDLE doesn't really belong to banner. It's there just to make Blackberries
dnl happy, because otherwise BIS server disables push email.

(heh, not sure how useful this is anymore)

ENABLE is listed since it can be pipelined with an auth/login.

michael