stats events for use with prometheus

Marc Marc at f1-outsourcing.eu
Fri Oct 8 20:46:56 EEST 2021

> >> Thanks for pointing it out. It was indeed a documentation error as
> there
> >> is no such event. The page is now updated.
> >
> >I did not even know, I just picked the first one from the example to
> search for
> >
> >It should be on this page, because I do not see it there?
> >https://doc.dovecot.org/admin_manual/list_of_events/#list-of-events
> >
> >I wonder even if this is correct, because from the event name I would
> assume this metric is calculated when a client disconnects. When I use
> the example, I have 0 connections. When I change it to
> client_connection_connected I have 2 connections, which seems to better
> represent the current situation.
> >
> >metric client_connections {
> >  #filter = event=client_connection_connected
> >  filter = event=client_connection_finnished
> >}
> >
> >But this seems to be an always increasing counter. I wonder now if
> dovecot is even having a metric that shows the current client
> connections. Or should one combine the two metrices
> client_connection_connected - client_connection_finnished to get this
> value? It is not really clear from this openmetrics page[1]
> >
> >I think it would be nice to have this example be something useful and
> long. It is easier to remove some metrics from the example, than
> searching for events fields etc creating your own.
> >

> >[1]
> >https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/stats/openmetrics/
> >

> Point is to use some external tool for that. Dovecot provides counters.
> Prometheus etc are good UI tools for this, and we have a simple cli tool
> too, see https://github.com/dovecot/tools/blob/master/watch-stats.py

Yes I have been using a grafana prometheus dashboard with some 'third party' exporter for dovecot. But I prefer to use your metrics, because I can define exactly the metrics that I want, and do not dump 70% data, that I am not using any way (as with so many exporters).
Do you have a more 'production' ready dovecot metrics config and grafana dashboard?