doveconf non-syntax check

William Edwards wedwards at cyberfusion.nl
Sat Oct 23 13:12:56 EEST 2021

I use doveconf to check if my config is valid:

root at unix:/etc/dovecot# doveconf
<My config as stdout, as expected>
root at unix:/etc/dovecot# echo $?
0

doveconf doesn't report any errors, as my config is syntactically valid.

However, due to a non-syntax error, Dovecot doesn't start:

root at unix:/etc/dovecot# ls /usr/local/snicerts/thisdoesntexist.key
ls: cannot access '/usr/local/snicerts/thisdoesntexist.key': No such
file or directory
root at unix:/etc/dovecot# dovecot -F
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
line 4: ssl_key: Can't open file
/usr/local/snicerts/thisdoesntexist.key: No such file or directory
root at unix:/etc/dovecot# echo $?
89

Does Dovecot provide a config checker that checks more than just the
syntax, but also issues like the one above? If not, maybe it's useful to
add a 'quiet' option (i.e. no stdout) to doveconf.

--
With kind regards,

William Edwards