Over Quota Reply Codes

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Thu Sep 2 18:51:39 EEST 2021

For the record, we also use 554 for Over Quota, but it is an interesting
topic for conversation, eg why do we even indicate a permanent failure,
when of course the person might make room in the next couple of hours.

It MIGHT be preferred to let the sender know as soon as possible, so he
can advise the recipient by alternative means...

Maybe more clarity can be gleaned from RFC's on this matter, but in the
end it is up to the email provider, which method they think is better.

Just make sure you also include an obvious message, eg.

lmprintf("554 User [%s] is over quota.\r\n", LM_STRING_BUFFER(addr));

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."