Using a DICT PROXY with SQL for AUTH

dovecot at ptld.com dovecot at ptld.com
Thu Sep 2 19:47:20 EEST 2021

https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/dict/#dict-sql
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/dict/#dict-proxy
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/dict/proxy/

I can't get the complete picture from these pages how to implement proxy
with sql. I have direct sql setup now, how do i use this with proxy?

    passdb {
       driver = sql
       args = /etc/dovecot/mysql_login
    }
    userdb {
       driver = prefetch
    }

    /etc/dovecot/mysql_login:
       driver = mysql
       connect = host=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock dbname=redacted
user=redacted password=redacted
       default_pass_scheme = redacted
       password_query = SELECT ...

I feel like there is a disconnect. It says how to make a proxy service
with service dict{} and it says put a dict name but where? And how do i
connect my password_query to a dict? Or can you not use the proxy
service for auth service?

"The <destination dict> contains the dict name in the dict { .. }
settings"

    service dict(1) {
       unix_listener dict(2) {
          mode = 0600
          user = vmail
       }
    }

What is the dict name, the first dict(1) or the second dict(2) or
neither? Can you change "dict" in the service or unix_listner or does it
always have to be "dict"?
Can you use dict-async with sql?