Dovecot - FTS Solr: disk usage & position information?

Vincent Brillault vincent.brillault at cern.ch
Mon Sep 6 09:58:55 EEST 2021

Hi Alessio,

> this optimization also produce a less RAM requirements on Solr server?

Unfortunately we didn't measure this before/after the change. Since we
are removing features (position information), I wouldn't expect the
memory requirement to increase, but I'm no expert.

To be honest, I've not been able to measure in any sensible way the
memory really required by Solr. The memory directly used by the Solr
process is rather limited, but a lot of memory is used for file caches,
which also feels (again not an expert) important for good performances.

> The attached schema and config file also works with Solr 7.7.0? Since
> dovecot provide schema and config for 7.7.0 will be useful for many of
> us a path based on it.

At least the solrconfig.xml shouldn't work with 7.7.0 since I increased
the luceneMatchVersion to match 8.6 and imported a few defaults from the
default upstream 8.6 configuration. I think these changes could be
ignored for 7.7.0.

For schema.xml, I made quite a few changes, but all seem to be backward
compatible:
  - Remove unused 'boolean' field type
  - Remove KeywordMarkerFilterFactory: protwords are usually empty anyway
  - User a simper 'text_basic' field type (no StopFilterFactory,
SynonymGraphFilterFactory or PorterStemFilterFactory) for processing
non-human fields (all but body and subject)
  - Remplace autoGeneratePhraseQueries & positionIncrementGap by
omitTermFreqAndPositions="true" & omitPositions="true" on TextField
fieldtypes (as discussed in this thread)
  - Minor modifications on WordDelimiterGraphFilterFactory when used in
search to have better match (things like 'covid19' are indexed as
['covid', '19', 'covid19'] but only searched as 'covid19')

 From taking a quick look at the documentation, I _think_ most of them
are compatible with 7.7.0, but without testing, I can't guarantee it.

Cheers,
Vincent