NFS Config vs Ceph / GlusterFS

Alessio Cecchi alessio at skye.it
Wed Apr 6 10:57:06 UTC 2022

Hi,

I have about 100TB of mailboxes in Maildir format on NFS (NetApp FAS)
and works very well, for performance but also stability.

The main problem of using Ceph or GlusterFS to store Maildir is the high
use of metadata that dovecot require for check new messages and others
activity. On my storage/NFS the main part of the traffic and I/O is
metadata traffic on small file (high file count workload).

And Ceph or GlusterFS are very inefficient with this kind of workload
(many metadata GETATTR/ACCESS/LOOKUP and high numer of small files).

Ciao