Both Roundcube and Squirrelmail webmail cannot search for anything + cannot open many emails because there are more than 200, 000 emails in my Inbox

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Sun Apr 17 07:46:09 UTC 2022

On 4/16/2022 11:32 PM, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Both Roundcube and Squirrelmail webmail cannot search for anything
> because there are more than 200,000 emails in my Inbox.

<snip>

> Both Roundcube and Squirrelmail webmail cannot open many emails
> because there are more than 200,000 emails in my inbox.

<snip>

> My IMAP server is Dovecot version 2.2.36.

I artificially created a situation like this in my mailbox.  I created a
new folder and copied all my other messages in my mailbox to it in the
Linux commandline.  Ended up with 154K messages in that folder.  Then I
had to force a complete reindex. Which I have a script for.

I'm using Solr for dovecot searching.  If you do something similar and
have dovecot connect to something external for search, that should solve
the first problem.

The folder did eventually populate in roundcube, though it did take a
while.  My roundcube version is 1.5.2, and my dovecot version is
2:2.3.18-4+ubuntu20.04.  Dovecot is installed from the official project
APT repository on Ubuntu Server 20.04.

I seem to be having a problem with my Solr search engine.  No matter
what keyword I search for in that folder, it always gets 127168 hits.
That is just not possible when searching for "dragon" and then "aardvark".

Thanks,
Shawn