Bad Signature - Both Roundcube and Squirrelmail webmail cannot search for anything + cannot open many emails because there are more than 200, 000 emails in my Inbox

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 22:23:10 UTC 2022

On Mon, 18 Apr 2022, Paul Kudla (SCOM.CA Internet) wrote:

> As for the 200,000+ emails in the inbox no email system was ever designed for
> that - ever.
> no system will support 200,000 + emails, even if the server can handle that
> and running imap where you only download the headers the email client would
> just spin trying to update the email box constantantly.

I think Gmail does exaclty this -- their mail system really has one
big mesage repository, and they simulate mailboxes by using labels.
They seem to encourage piling the message high and using their search
or auto-labelling features to find what you're looking for.

Users of mine who previously used Gmail expect our mail system to behave
similarly, and I have to break them of their habit to packrat all their
mail into their INBOX.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>