temporary block incoming messages to specific user

justina colmena ~biz justina at colmena.biz
Wed Apr 20 13:12:47 UTC 2022

So the file "/var/mail/username" is a "system inbox" for the user, typically a flat file that will accept new mail no matter what as long as it isn't too large, which would indicate that the user's mailbox is full.

Some of the early text clients, mutt etc. would move any mail in the "/var/mail/username" inbox to a local inbox in "/home/username/Maildir" or "/home/username/mbox" as soon as it is seen or read from the system inbox.

Are you blocking the user from logging in, or do you just want incoming mail for that user to sit in the general queue until you have that person's account set up?

IMHO dovecot or other clients should ideally pick up any mail in the system inbox "/var/mail/username" and move it to a local maildir inbox in the user's home folder as expeditiously as possible for any further reading or sorting.