Bad Signature - Both Roundcube and Squirrelmail webmail cannot search for anything + cannot open many emails because there are more than 200, 000 emails in my Inbox

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Wed Apr 20 14:11:49 UTC 2022

On 4/20/22 07:51, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> I believe Gmail is using IMAP. The instructions for configuring Gmail
> email accounts in Outlook specifically mention IMAP server hostname:
>
> imap.gmail.com
>
> TCP Port 993, SSL

Indeed you CAN use IMAP with gmail.  For work, I mostly use my email
(which is gmail-based) via Thunderbird, with IMAP.  I am familiar with it.

But if I use the Gmail app for Android or the gmail website, I feel
absolutely certain that those applications are NOT using IMAP.  Chances
are that they use protocols developed by Google.

Regarding your next email on this thread, the initial sync of a large
number of messages via IMAP does take a really long time. But once the
initial sync is complete, syncing the differences is very fast.  The big
problem with accessing a large folder via a webmail app like Roundcube
is that it never sets up a local copy of the mailbox.  I actually don't
know where the copy of all those message headers resides ... whether it
is in the PHP interpreter or in the browser.  But it's not persisted to
disk as it would be with a more traditional IMAP client such as Thunderbird.

Thanks,
Shawn