how to setup IMAPs with letsencrypt

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 23:57:36 UTC 2022

>>> I have setup website using letsencrypt for certification.
>>> how can I setup IMAP to use this certs as well?
>>>
>> Make entries in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-ssl.conf
>>
>> ssl = required
>>
>> ssl_cert = </etc/letsencrypt/live/mail.example.com/cert.pem
>> ssl_key = </etc/letsencrypt/live/mail.examplel.com/privkey.pem

Keep in mind the subject name (CN or SAN AltNames) of your certificate
must match your IMAP server name e.g. if your certificate is
made for "www.mydomain.com", you'll have to configure your IMAP
clients to also use "www.mydomain.com" as the IMAP server name.

This typically means the web and IMAP server must reside on the
same server, otherwise you'll have to use DNS challenge method
to support multiple hostnames on the same certificate.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>