Sieve rule for whitelisting domains after spam processing

Nicolae Iuoras niuoras at cinergi.net
Wed Aug 10 05:09:25 UTC 2022

Hello,

My mail server has a global Sieve rule defined in sieve_before to file
messages classified as spam by spamassassin into the Spam folder:

require ["regex", "fileinto", "imap4flags"];

if allof (header :regex "X-Spam-Status" "^Yes") {

  fileinto "Spam";

}

This works great, except I'd like the ability to whitelist certain senders
or domains whose emails end up in Spam, usually due to a misconfigured SPF
DNS TXT record or something like that.  I use Roundcube as my Webmail
client, so the easiest way to whitelist would be to create a rule for each
domain directly in Roundcube using its built-in Sieve integration to move
legitimate messages out of the Spam folder.  I already have several rules
set up to flag and sort non-spam messages, and they're working fine.  I
therefore tried adding a simple rule to move Spam into the Inbox:

# rule:[Not Spam]

if allof (header :contains "from" "user at good-domain.com")

{

        fileinto "INBOX";

}

However, the above rule does not work as I expected.  When I receive an
email from good-domain.com that's classified as Spam by spamassassin, the
global rule sends it to the Spam folder and it is not re-filed into the
Inbox.  The second rule doesn't seem to do anything.  I'm probably doing
something simple wrong, but I can't figure out what (I'm a Sieve newb).  Any
suggestions please?

Thanks,

Nick