pre-define or alter list of IMAP keywords

spi spi at nurfuerspam.de
Thu Aug 11 09:04:23 UTC 2022

Am 11.08.22 um 10:55 schrieb Aki Tuomi:
>> Currently there are some mails in my inbox.
>> 'doveadm -f flow -v fetch -u spi 'flags uid' mailbox Inbox' shows
>> flags=\Seen uid=3
>>   flags=\Seen $Forwarded uid=4
>>   flags=\Seen NonJunk 3_warten uid=5
>>   flags=\Seen NonJunk uid=6
>>   flags=\Seen NonJunk uid=7
>>   flags=\Seen NonJunk uid=8
>>   flags=\Seen uid=9
>>   flags=\Seen NonJunk uid=10
>>   flags=\Seen NonJunk uid=11
>>   flags=\Seen NonJunk uid=12
>>   flags=\Seen NonJunk uid=13
>>   flags=\Seen NonJunk uid=14
>>   flags=\Seen NonJunk uid=15
>>   flags=\Answered \Seen uid=18
>>   flags=\Seen uid=28
>>   flags=\Seen uid=29
>>   flags=\Seen NonJunk 3_warten uid=102
>>

>> My client receives from dovecot the following list:
>> b select inbox
>>   * FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk $Forwarded 3_warten 1_aktuell 2_projekt 4_irgendwann)
>>   * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk $Forwarded 3_warten 1_aktuell 2_projekt 4_irgendwann \*)] Flags permitted.
>>

>> Please seaa for the [1-4]_.* keywords - only 3_warten is used in the inbox, but dovecot sends more. I had even a longer list, that's why I deleted the index files.
>> To deal with that there are two options - a fixed list on the client with the disadvantage of missing new keywords.
>> A defined list on the server - with the downside of the user being unable to add new keywords.
>> So I thing both are somehow needed - a current list sent by dovecot and pre-defined list omm the client.
>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>> spi
> The reason for this is that keywords cannot be currently deleted, and they do not become deleted when nothing uses them.
>
> If you ever use a keyword for a specific mailbox it stays there until you delete the mailbox (or the indexes).
>
> Aki

Ok, that explains what I figured out. Is this behavior intended? I could
imagine there is a limit of keywords the IMAP server may respond with
after a select mailbox.

What would happen if the list is full and the user needs to change a
keyword?

Is it safe then to delete the index files on sdbox from time to time?

Is there any way you might think of to get the response overwritten? so
no matter what is in the index file the server responds with "a b c"?

--
Cheers
spi