Aw: RE: convert mdbox to maildir

lutz.niederer at gmx.net lutz.niederer at gmx.net
Sun Aug 14 10:24:21 UTC 2022

mdbox is a proprietary format, only dovecot can handle it (afaik).  Postfix can write maildir natively, other MTAs, too.  There are many tools to help in case something strange happens.  I believe that using maildir seems to be not that bad.  And I don't see the real benefits of mdbox.  Maybe with "old" spindle driven devices, you may have a performance benefit, but with SDDs...  If you use the right filesystem, use raid 10....  Yes, it is said that mdbox is performing better.  The largest installations we had with dovecot were about 2k users (maildir was used) and another one had about 3k users (with mdbox), they all have branch offices that are connected to their "home" via some sort of vpn or direct connect by the ISP.  We did not see a real difference between maildir and mdbox, maybe because of the surrounding conditions.  And I believe mdbox may be faster, but we did not have the critical masses to see that.