Should one prevent reconnection before expunge?

Christian Kivalo ml+dovecot at valo.at
Sun Aug 21 10:08:20 UTC 2022

On August 21, 2022 12:34:46 AM GMT+02:00, Jack Cecil <postman at sysphere.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 12 Aug 2022, Jack Cecil wrote:
>
>> could you help me understand the 'doveadm expunge' feature better?
>>
>> If a Maildir has 20 thousand messages and user is reading it over IMAP I have a suspicion it is not a good idea to be rewriting the dovecot index and cache at the same time.
>>
>> Should I temporarily prevent login (e.g. with passwd-file deny) and then kick them before the expunge?
>
>Hi. Could someone please drop me a hint? I have 309 users that will be very angry with me if their Thunderbirds start displaying 0 messages :(
>
>Thanks.
I had never thought about this, i do have some folders for which i expunge message with doveadm with a cron job, never had a problem.

What keeps you from testing with a test account to see what happens when you expunge while logged in? My assumption is, the client will update it's knowledge of the mailbox on next access or login.
--
Christian Kivalo