Question about line length limit in lmtp.

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Thu Dec 8 09:39:50 UTC 2022

On 12/8/22 17:29, Aki Tuomi wrote:
> Dovecot LMTP and Submission enforce the RFC line length, which is 1000, including \r\n.

Can you elaborate on this?

I often get mail coming in from the wild with long lines and I find the most practical approach is to pass it on to dovecot LMTP as is, and it just works, and the message is stored with long lines, not folded.

I haven't tried dovecot's submission yet.

What exactly can you tell me about line length limits in LMTP and submission and can it be configured?