sasl service for other app

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Thu Dec 8 13:49:06 UTC 2022

On 12/7/22 21:53, Henry R wrote:
> can dovecot run as a general sasl service for other apps? such as webdav.

I am using dovecot to provide authentication for postfix submission.
This is the config in postfix:

smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
# Referring to /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

In /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf I have this:

     mode = 0666
     user = postfix
     group = postfix
   }

If the application supports using a socket for sasl, then I would
imagine that Dovecot should work.

Postfix is using the same postfixadmin database for email addresses that
Dovecot is, but for authentication, it's all Dovecot.

I should probably look into Dovecot's submission support so I don't need
to have postfix using that auth socket, just haven't found the time.

Thanks,
Shawn